How to Add Features to a Folded Edge
When designing a formed sheet metal part, you may find some individual features are more appropriate to add in an unfolded state, such as a circular cut across a bend.
To add these specific features, the Unfold and Fold commands can be used to temporarily flatten selected bends, apply the feature, then refold.
Suppose we want to add a hole to the following part:
As shown below, we can see that using the extrude cut method results in the hole being an oval or ellipse shape. Whereas by unfolding and following up with a extruded cut results in a proper circle cut onto the bend.
- Click the UNFOLD icon and select the planar face as the Fixed Face.
- For Bends to unfold select the bend faces as shown. Click OK.
- Sketch a circle dimensioned as shown.
- Create a cut using Link to thickness.
- Click FOLD
- The Fixed Face is automatically detected from the previous operation.
- Now click Collect All Bends to automatically select all unfolded bends.
- Click OK.
- Examine the flat pattern. It should now look like this:
With that, you now know how to add features to a folded edge