Creating Custom Properties and Linking to Drawing
June 7, 2019
When creating a drawings for your part or assembly, you can easily populate the drawings block automatically. This will help you speed up the time for completing your drawings. In this article we will talk about how to creating a custom properties and link it to the drawings.
Let’s say you have this part and the drawings block like below.
We are going to insert the material and the weight into the drawings. So what we need to do first is creating the custom properties.
- Creating Custom Properties.
- After applying the material, you can create custom properties by going to File>Properties.
- After that, go to the custom tabs and click below the “<Type a new property>” below the Property Name, and click the dropdown menu and select Material. Set the Type to Text and the Value / Text Expression to Material, the Evaluated Value will updated automatically.
- Create another one for Weight and on the Value / Text Expression select the Mass. And hit OK
- Linking to the Drawing Blocks.
- After creating the custom properties we need to link it to the drawing block. Right click on the sheet graphic area and select Edit Sheet Format To check weather you on the editing environment or not please look at the upper right corner of your screen, if there is an icon like below then you are on the right path.
- Insert a Note
Go to annotation tab > Note.
- In the Property Manager, go to the Leader and choose no Leader (Using Leader will create arrow type of annotation).
- Click on the drawing block that you want to populate with custom properties.
- Click Link to Property on the Property Manager (left side of your screen)
- A Link to property window will pop up and select Model found here and then click the Property Name and select the custom properties you want. The Material and Weight properties are there for you to choose. Hit OK
- After doing the same for the others custom properties your drawings will be updated.
Note : you can change the font and size accordingly and save this as the drawings template.