Five Favourite Free Engineering Tools
Are you looking for free engineering tools solve your design challenges? As an engineer or designer, you will often need to use tools that require significant resources, both in terms of time and cost for product development processes. Below are five favourite engineering tools, each is free to use and provides valuable time-savings capabilities,
- eDrawings. This email-enabled collaboration tool from SOLIDWORKS enables you to send and collaborate on designs with anyone with a PC or MAC. You do not need to own or even know how to use CAD software. Using eDrawing, you can communicate with everyone involved in the product development process, from engineering and manufacturing to marketing and sales, including customers, partners, vendors, and suppliers. Download eDrawings for free here.
- DraftSight. Moving to 3D is easier than you think. SOLIDWORKS software allows you to preserve the value of your 2D DWG data with the best available tools for converting data from 2D to 3D, accommodating reusable 2D geometry, and enabling a smooth transition–including extensive help documentation for AutoCAD users. Download this free 2D CAD software here.
- Color Cop. Creating a presentation for your client with your company’s branding guidelines? Color Cop allows you to match colours from any digital media with it’s multi-purpose colour picker. The tool identifies and represents colours in various hex colour code formats. Simply drag the eyedropper control to any location on the screen and release. Download Color Cop for free here.
- CustomPartNet.com. This website’s cost estimator tool gives you a rough estimate about the cost of manufacturing a part based on manufacturing method (injection molding, die casting, sand casting or machining) and the specific features of your part (material, quantity needed, etc.). Check it out at www.CustomPartNet.com. For more detailed information, don’t forget to look at Costing in SOLIDWORKS Professional.
- CCleaner. This tool allows you to identify and eliminate unused files and settings which are taking up hard drive space and slowing down your machine, such as unnecessary cookies, temporary files and browsing history. Download CCleaner here.
If you are interested in finding out more information, watch this video.