Getting started with DriveWorksXpress
DriveWorksXpress is entry-level Design Automation software included in SOLIDWORKS. It is ideal if the designs and projects you work on are the Same but Different. It is an easy to use tool that allows you to automate any SolidWorks design, giving you the flexibility to automate time consuming and repetitive tasks, simplifying your design process, and enabling you to use your time more efficiently.
Few advantages of DriveWorksXpress are as follows:
- Capture and re-use design knowledge to save time and money.
- Incorporate design rules to minimize errors and the cost of manual mistakes.
- Automate repetitive tasks to dramatically reduce design time when specifying new variants.
- Liberate design engineers from repetitive tasks to concentrate on new and special designs.
- Generate variations quickly and easily based on rules you create.
DriveWorksXpress works by capturing information from your existing models. That information (which can consist of Dimensions, Features and configurations) can then be controlled by a series of rules. These rules can be controlled from a simple input form, so that all you need to do is put the details in for the new variations, and then DriveWorksXpress will create them for you. The input form can be reused as many times as needed, each time creating a brand-new set of files and their relevant drawings.
In this blog, let’s get started with how to activate DriveWorksXpress for the design automation and its user interface.
Step 1: Activating DriveWorksXpress
Two ways of accessing DriveworksXpress are as follows:
- Go to Tools menu, select Xpress Products and then click on DriveWorksXpress
2. Select Evaluate tab from the command manager, then click on DriveWorksXpress Wizard.
The first time it is used, it will prompt for a product code for activation. To activate, follow the steps below:
1.Click on My.SolidWorks.com/xpress link from the Enable DriveWorksXpress dialog box.
2. Log in using your SolidWorks account details. If you don’t already have a My.SOLIDWORKS account, you will need to create one.
3. Clicking the link from within SOLIDWORKS will automatically populate your serial number and give you the activation code. Copy the activation code as shown in the image below.
Note: For those who work in highly secure environments, an alternate method is to navigate to My.SolidWorks.com/xpress from any computer that is online and manually enter your serial number to obtain the code. Your serial number can be found from the SOLIDWORKS Help menu > Select “About SOLIDWORKS” > Click on “Show Serial Number.”
4. Paste the code into DriveWorksXpress Product Code and click OK.
5. Once activated, a new tab will appear on the task panel and you are now ready to automate your designs with DriveWorksXpress.
DriveWorksXpress User Interface:
The DriveWorksXpress Navigation Bar allows you to access the different sections needed to create and run a DriveWorksXpress project. The buttons in the main section will navigate you to the following areas: Welcome Page, Captured Model Information, Form Creation, Rule Creation and Run Project.
- Create / Change Database: This allows you to create a new database or switch database
- Add / Edit Project: This allows you to add or edit Projects within your database.
- Run Project: Once your Project is completed you can run it to specify new variations.